Applications for this job are closed.
Our client is looking to recruit a R&D Technician to their expanding team.
Support the R&D department to resolve the feasible technical (electronic & mechanical) product design solutions from concept/technical designs that achieve client expectation in practicality, quality and time & costs, together with commercial revenue for the company.
R&D Technician: Roles & Responsibilities
* Work to daily, weekly schedules (monthly in some cases); liaise with R&D Technicians - Electronic, Workshop and Production teams to ensure tasks are achieved to project plan - customer expectation, quality and costs, and profit.
* Complete technical research & development design eg testing and modelling of design stages and specific development tasks.
* Carry out electronics prototypes design from initial concept to prototype and production solutions utilising the following:
- Digital - Logic Design, Microcontrollers and Peripheral Interface Devices
- Analogue - Discrete and linear, power supply
- Mixed Signal Circuits
* Programme C and C++ for Embedded System Applications
* Android Application Development for Testing - Simple GUI interface.
* PCB cost estimates and purchase for manufacturing quotes
* Fit, remove and rework through hole and surface mount components on prototype PCB assemblies.
* Monitor small stock of prototyping components and materials in the electronics lab.
* Manage own schedule of work to duty timelines, materials costed if appropriate, order of jobs are followed.
* Source best material for projects.
* Source product design information to better understand current product design activity - source alternative methods and materials to ensure R&D - Electronics team are at cutting edge of product design.
* Provide excellent customer service and expertise and progress when advising colleagues, and (if appropriate) clients & suppliers.
* Support service and communication integration between Concept, Technical, the Workshop, Tooling and Production teams.
* Manage and report on order progress of each project or task.
* Any critical design technology must be approved by the R&D Technician - Electronic or Head of Department in advance.
* Identify and report on production and material costs when developing designs in order to achieve client expectation and maintain cost for company
* Contribute to the control of day to day costs & savings for company; ensure any expenditure is approved by the R&D Technician - Electronic or Head of Operations before any spend is actioned or committed to.
* Work closely with colleagues, particularly Concept and Technical, and customers to effectively build on role and relationships.
* Share and develop knowledge and expertise with colleagues.
R&D Technician: Qualifications & Skills:
Typically achieved or studying towards an Electronics degree or diploma eg BEng or HND in Electronics/Electrical Engineering, Communications and Electronics Engineering or Mechatronics
Qualified, or at least can demonstrate, good knowledge/experience in some or most of following:
* Hand soldering and rework skills, including small surface mount components
* Hand-assembling small electronics-based products
* Simple electronics instruments such as DVM, oscilloscope
* Programming in C, C++ and familiar with Arduino control systems. (REQUIRED MINIMUM)
* Eagle PCB layout software
* Minimum: basic MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Project (office).
Preferable to have familiarity/knowledge of the following:
* Volume electronics manufacturing techniques, prototyping techniques eg 3D printing, communications protocols eg I2C, UART, SPI, wireless communications eg Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Microchip/Atmel microcontrollers, electronics product data formats eg bills of materials, Gerber files, other electronics-related CAD formats.
* Strong interest in wide range of creative product design or production, and its performance with regard to aesthetic appeal, quality and mostly to feasibility.
* A creative thinker - has strong interest in realisation from designs + evident entrepreneurial flair.
* Can-do attitude - ability to develop product/solutions from drawings, and 'get on with it'.
* Ability to share or answer questions on own expertise to others and to ask first if unsure.
* Expertise in advising to colleagues and senior managers others for them to take action.
* Ability to plan, organise, and co-ordinate own workload.
Please apply ASAP